2020 WASN’T the worst year in history…
Yes, we all hated 2020. It was a terrible year. But even in terrible times, wonderful things happen. Here are 20 of them. They will brighten your day.
This was the year we learned a whole new vocabulary – lockdown, PPE, furlough, Covid-19. It was the year that the facemask went from being inconceivable to being ubiquitous.
It was also the year where businesses and industries crashed, unemployment rose dramatically, events were canceled, airports ground to a halt, and loneliness and separation became a way of life for people everywhere. It was a year dominated by recession, sickness and death. It was the year of corona.
There is absolutely no denying it — 2020 was a horrible year.
And if all the heavy global disruptions of the pandemic weren’t enough, it was also possibly the worst year yet in terms of climate change as massive wildfires swept Australia and the United States, once-in-a-century storms and extreme weather events became increasingly common, and climatologists discussed the possibility of force 6 hurricanes.
But it wasn’t all bad. Truly.
2020 shouldn’t be consigned to the scrap heap of history, because despite it all, many amazing things did happen.
Here are a few of them. Read them and take heart. Humanity is often at its best during adversity.
- Suddenly things are getting normal in the Middle East
- Corona sent Israel into innovation overdrive
- Israel sends corona aid around the world (despite problems at home)
- Aid isn’t just about corona
- In a crisis, everyone wants to help
- The Israeli tech industry continued to break records
- Scientists grow fresh dates from a 6th-century seed
- An IDF unit saves a baby vulture with a drone
- The end of the world in sight
- Alive and well despite a spike through the head
- Save a life, and you save the world
- Israel’s military inclusion program inspires the US military
- First it was wine, now it’s whisky
- Your toilet is about to diagnose illness
- The honeybees haven’t been forgotten
- Did scientists really just discover the cure for aging?
- Thank heavens for Israeli TV
- X-rays, synthetic corneas and diabetes – it isn’t just about corona
- Flying cars, of course
- Supermarkets with farms in the parking lot
ISRAEL21c is a non-partisan, nonprofit organisation and the publisher of an English-language online news magazine recognised as the single most diverse and reliable source of news and information about 21st century Israel.
Our website offers a vast resource of more than 10,000 originally researched and produced articles, videos, images and blogs by some of Israel’s leading journalists, uncovering the country’s rich and diverse culture, innovative spirit, wide-ranging contributions to humanity, and democratic civil society.
Every week we reach millions of people through our website, social media channels, and e-newsletter.
ISRAEL21c was founded in 2001, in the wake of the Second Intifada, to broaden public understanding of Israel beyond typical portrayals in the mainstream media.
The organisation’s founders – Israeli-American technology executives – understood the great power of the Internet and developed a first-of-its kind online product with global appeal and reach.
Since that time, ISRAEL21c has become synonymous with reliable, thoughtfully-written, and meticulously researched content for individuals, organisations, associations, news services, bloggers, and businesses in more than 230 countries.
Photo Credit: depositphotos.com